Associate Director, Publications - Medical Affairs
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
\\# of Openings: 1
Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer.
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer.
To learn more about us, please visit us at
Associate Director, Publications
General Position Summary/Purpose:
This position will be responsible for developing scientifically accurate publications and presentations. This position will report to the within the Head of Medical Publishing Medical Affairs Department.
Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
* Lead development of publications (congress abstracts, posters, presentations, and manuscripts) for Pharmacyclics-sponsored clinical trials including secondary analysis publications based on Global Publication Strategy
* Lead execution of publication-focused gap analysis
* Develop and maintain scientific statements and narratives for publications
* Work with internal stakeholders, external authors and medical writers on publication development, including adjudication of author/reviewer comments
* Proactively review pertinent and emerging scientific literature to keep abreast of therapeutic landscape in assigned disease area(s)
* Evaluate clinical trial data from statistical outputs (tables, figures and listings; TFLs) and published literature
* Ensure publications convey accurate and non-misleading communications of the product and data
* Ensure publications pieces are developed, reviewed and approved according to Pharmacyclics SOPs
* Provide oversight and guidance to vendors for medical writing, ensuring work is high quality and developed on time and budget
* Four plus years relevant industry experience in medical/scientific publications either in the pharmaceutical industry or related (eg, medical communication agency) industry required
* Experience in development and medical writing of peer-reviewed publications and congress materials (abstracts, posters, presentations)
* Ability to interpret data tables, summarize complex information, and present data in a clear, concise, and scientifically accurate manner to a range of audiences
* Excellent communication, organizational, and time management skills
* Ability to work across multi-disciplinary groups and within a matrix environment
* Experience with publications planning and execution, including literature gap analysis
* Experience with development of scientific communication platforms or scientific statements
* Knowledge of good publication practices and industry-standard guidelines (GPP, ICMJE)
* Strong problem solving, decision-making, influencing, and negotiation skills
* Experience in biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry desired. Experience in Hematology/Oncology preferred
* Advanced scientific/clinical degree required (eg, PharmD, PhD, MD) in science-related field.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Associated topics: ancmg, aoa, breast, cancer, hem onc, hematology, lah, physician md, radiation, thedacare