FOIA Specialist Washington, D.C.
Responsible for all activities that enable the VA to appropriately respond to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
- Review and process new and existing FOIA inquiries from the public using FOIA exemptions where applicable.
- Receive and/or initiate telephone calls, letters, fax, or emails pertaining to FOIA cases to determine status or resolve issues regarding requests.
- Determine whether requesters have complied with the FOIA rules.
- Log requests and route appropriately.
- Conduct necessary research and coordination.
- Identify information that is exempt from release and apply appropriate exemptions to the information. Redact exempt information.
- Upload FOIA requests into the FOIA Xpress software.
- Prepare appropriate draft correspondence; interim and final letters to FOIA requesters; and complete final processing.
- Prepare complete FOIA reviews that contain sufficient recommendations, guidance, and consolidated information for the VA FOIA Officers to finalize the agency FOIA decisions.
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly and annual reports.
- Perform additional administrative support as required.
- Three (3) years experience with FOIA requests, processing and responses
- Highly desired Associates Degree
- Experience writing, editing, publishing reports and technical documents
- Experience using FOIA Xpress Software
- Ability to track multiple project requirements and meet FOIA and other deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Ability to pass a Federal Background Check
Leading Solutions is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to ensuring a workplace free of discrimination based on race, color, religion, age, disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, military or veteran status, and any other basis protected by applicable law.
Leading Solutions is a Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business (SDVOSB) and Woman-Owned Small Business (WOSB) headquartered in Kissimmee, Florida. The Company provides professional, technical, administrative, and healthcare services to Government and commercial clients. Leading Solutions customer- centric foundation ensures that our leadership and employees meet customer challenges and build trusting partnerships that lay the groundwork for success.
Associated topics: communication specialist, content, copywriter, investigative, journalism, journalist, news, newsperson, publication, writing