The information architect plays a key role in ensuring that REI customers are able to easily find the products and experiences they're looking for and that they're shown accurate information about those products and experiences. This position supports REI's information architecture initiatives, including development and governance of metadata standards and navigation systems, as well as taxonomy and ontology governance, maintenance, and ongoing development. This is a highly collaborative role, and one which requires a passion for metadata and attention to detail. The information architect will ensure the overall coherence of the wayfinding experience across REI's digital properties while supporting both merchandising and brand business objectives. This person will be expected to provide data-driven insights into customer wayfinding behavior and actionable plans for meeting user needs online, and to model and act in accordance with REI's guiding values and mission.
* Develops and maintains content metadata schema. Optimizes the schema in response to changing user behavior, industry developments, and tool enhancements. Partners with stakeholders to evaluate and prioritize enhancements to metadata from various inputs, including search logs, SEO inputs, VoC, and other internal requests. * Audits metadata application and use to ensure standards compliance and identify new metadata opportunities. Uses SQL, SPARQL, Visual Basic and other technologies to clean up inconsistent or missing metadata, and to conduct analysis and reporting on the schema and instance data. * Develops, maintains and optimizes metadata standards, including metadata schemas, taxonomies and ontologies; contributes to the development of and compliance with governance processes and documentation. * Develops and maintains content auto-tagging strategies and the development of guidance for manual tagging. * Supports integration of metadata and ontology standards into consuming systems, including mapping legacy metadata to the standard. * Conducts competitive research into assorting and vendor research for emerging categories. Uses Google AdWords console in addition to visiting competitor sites to identify gaps or inconsistencies in instance or schema data. * Identifies strategic opportunities to improve the collection, management, and distribution of product data and digital content, including how to improve data ingestion and reporting capabilities. * Executes against navigation strategies in order to ensure the findability of content and experiences on REI digital properties. * Participates in investigation of and recommendations for metadata technology solutions that address business needs. * Partners with SEO to ensure that the information architecture and metadata strategies support traffic goals. * Provides URL management and content linking best practices and support. * Reviews site analytics and customer feedback to identify findability issues and incorporates findings to continuously improve and evolve the end-user navigation experience and metadata strategy. * Participates in UX-led customer research and usability testing focused on site navigation and wayfinding experiences and incorporates learnings and feedback into metadata schema design. * Performs content analysis in support of navigation and content modeling goals. * Supports development of content models that enable programmatic/dynamic delivery of content. * Serves as an information architecture, metadata, and ontology subject matter expert and evangelist, and contributes expertise to REI stakeholders and cross-divisional partners as needed. Educates partners about the product schema and dataset provides instruction on how to access and interpret the data and learns about partners' business processes, datasets, and needs. * Contributes to REI's overall information strategy by collaborating with the larger Publishing and Findability Programs team and other teams in Digital.
Bring your passion and expertise
* 3+ years' experience developing and managing content attributes, taxonomies, metadata or classification schema.
* 3+ years' experience in information management and organization.
* 3+ years' experience using content management, taxonomy management, or search systems to improve discoverability.
* 1+ years' experience with SQL or similar query language (SPARQL preferred).
* Familiarity with site search engine management.
* Master's Degree in Library Science, Information Management, Science or related field, or comparable experience.
* Successful work performance demonstrating a strong attention to detail, the ability to work well with others, use productive work methods, exercise sound judgment and display accountability, initiative, and innovation on the job.
* Ability to multi-task, utilizing exceptional written and verbal communication skills while working in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
* Ability to implement and analyze research and metrics reporting to make informed decisions.
* Experience planning and conducting user research and analyzing results to help improve customer experience.
* Passionate about website usability and the role of metadata in improving customer experiences.
* Experience with e-commerce.
* Experience in the outdoor industry or participant in outdoor activities at an intermediate or expert level.
* Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
* Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
* Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
* Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
* Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
Why you'll love it here
Real. Alive. Connected. These are a few words that describe life at REI. Whether it's in our careers or in the great outdoors, we aspire to adventure in all ways! At REI we value our customers; we work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our commitment remains the same as when we started out in 1938: to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure. Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. Get ready to harness your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors-we can't wait to meet you!
REI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the \"100 Best Companies to Work For\" list since the award's inception - 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it's balanced with time off to play-a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Associated topics: cloud architect, http, information architect, infrastructure, infrastructure architect, ip, maintenance, server, system integrator, systems integration architect
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.